Advice for a woman on separation

If you changed your name when you got married, you can go back to your maiden name at any time, but you will need to do this by deed poll.

Changing your name by deed poll will not affect any divorce proceedings that may follow your separation.  It also makes no difference if divorce proceedings have already begun — you can change your name at any time.  However, you must notify your partner of your name change.  All subsequent documentation relating to your divorce will then be in your maiden name.

To change only your title, there is no need for a deed poll — see the section on how to change your title.